As the visual revolution sweeps the Church, it is a constant challenge to not only keep up with the technology and artistic trends of the day but also to maintain a tasteful balance when leading worship and designing an experience that engages all the senses. There are so many factors involved…from overall vision, to philosophical approach, to software, to content, to your audience…all with the messy element of relationships intertwined through the fabric of the event.
We believe that the visual layer of any event (whether it be for worship or entertainment) is often the most influential layer of the entire experience. Our passion is to help you live out the dream God has given you and to come alongside you in creating great art. We are dreamers and risk-takers, constantly challenging the status-quo. In an age where the “copy-and-paste” approach to creativity plagues the Church, our heart is to join you in the journey of re-framing and contextualizing your idea and inspiration to best serve your people.
ON-SITE CONSULTING + TRAINING
Our consulting services range from training on software to casting vision for “Visual Worship” to your team and everything in between. Here’s a list of various consultation packages. To set a consultation up, email stephen@worshipVJ.com.
- casting vision for “Visual Worship” with pastors, creative/technical staff and volunteers. This conversation-based workshop will introduce a new language to your team by sharing creative examples, discussing philosophy, pros and cons to the latest popular trends and the relationship aspect of leading visual worship.
- design & implementation for: VJ/presentation system, main screen projection, multi-screen video staging, environmental projection, lighting, stage design & interactive prayer & worship stations.
- short & long-term coaching opportunities available via Slingshot Group (see below)
Needing fresh ideas for your worship gatherings? Want an outside expert’s perspective on the potential of your worship space? Have questions about upgrading your current VJ/media presentation system?
Perhaps all you need is to have a few questions answered and would like to get on the phone or video chat. We now offer one-hour blocks of time for off-site consulting, of course you can book as many slots as you like and even spread them a part. Currently, the rate is $100 per hour. To book a session, click the “Set Up A Consultation” button below!
- “Visual Environments: Using Your Space to Project God’s Visual Story” – The Church once gathered in visually immersive sacred spaces that screamed “Father, Son & Holy Spirit,” yet now we gather in blank worship centers filled with technology that screams “Lights, camera, action!” We used to have art and architecture that pointed to God, yet it slowly turned into stages that point to ourselves. The fact is we never got away from image-driven worship; we just replaced art and icons with worship leaders and pastors. As leaders and curators of visual worship, we must learn to see beyond the screen and start reclaiming the worship space as a canvas and spotlight that points people’s eyes back to God’s visual story. And we can use technology to do it!
- “Curating Visual Worship: How to Creatively Organize Media Library” – Mastering your presentation software is important, but it’s only half the battle. But finding the right image for the right moment is where the bigger challenge lies. Curating con- tent is an art form that every VJ must master, and media management/organization is foundational to this creative process. But what does this look like? Where can you find good visual media? How do you build a visual library? And how do you effectively navigate that library when you have so much to choose from? Come and see.
- “Illuminate: Tales of Visual Worship” – The visual worship conversation continues at CRIAMA. In this session, we’ll dive into a few case studies that will cover a range of media philosophy, theology, creative process, and technology. The first case study will feature some the latest VJ-ing and projection techniques for worship. We’ll go through a setlist of music & curate playlists of media to visually enhance each song. The second case study will feature a visually immersive environment that is void of digital technology and allows the congregation to do the “painting” instead of the VJ. In other words, it flips the whole modern, cutting-edge technological approach to “visual worship” upside down.
LIVE EVENT VJ-ING
- interfacing with your existing video projection system to VJ your event (we bring in our own laptops, software and content.)
- designing & implementing multi-screen video staging and environmental projection (note: this is a temporary solution for special events and not for permanent design/install.)
- curating non-linear, station-based, fully-immersive worship environments
- walking with you through flow, creative spaces & audience interaction/co-creation moments to design a unique live event experience
- scripting & packaging media presentations into ProPresenter or ProVideoPlayer for events & touring (involves purchasing stock content on your behalf)
- custom motion graphic creation
- film production and visual storytelling (to explore more, visit grateful inconvenience, inc.)
SLINGSHOT GROUP [ Visual Worship Associate ]
- Slingshot Group is a collective of high caliber worship pastors and artists whose many years of experience in worship and arts, media, culture, creativity, technology, along with a nationwide network of relationships, are leveraged to help churches reach new heights in the experiences they’re giving their people and their communities.
- the main areas of focus are strategic staffing + coaching
- click here to find out more.
“worshipVJ”, an extension of Grateful Inconvenience, is dedicated to serving & pioneering the re-emergence of the visual arts in the Church. Our team is a community of highly trained & talented artists led by Stephen Proctor. We are a creative collective that focuses on the medium of digital media projection for live events; each artist is an industry leader in a particular niche of visual media, which means we do a few things really well instead of being a jack-of-all-trades. Our process begins with figuring out ”the why,” then brainstorming on ”how” & ”what” is the best solution & approach for your needs. As a result, we are confident in the experiences we design.
Visit the GALLERY to see examples of our work.
stephen proctor | illuminator, visual worship leader, curator, experience designer, media producer, + VJ
stephen@worshipVJ.com | @stephenproctor